Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:05:55 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting install disk

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 10:26:39AM -0400, Michael Lucas wrote:

> I just found myself the proud owner of an utterly obsolete and
> completely undocumented Alpha system.  Being a masochist, I decided to
> install FreeBSD.
>
> There's a friendly little menu system when the box boots, labeling it
> a "ARC Multiboot Alpha AXP Version 3.5-7", and a boot menu.

Yuck! The very least you need is SRM console firmware.

> I'd be delighted to send along hardware details, but there's no model
> number on the box.  It's brown, flat, rather like a miniature desktop
> PC case.  Four audio ports on the front.  The motherboard slides out
> the back.

Is it a Digital product? Dimensions? Partnumbers of the actual PCB?
Digital style part# are like 54-xxxxx-xx for a populated PCB.

> Does anybody have any idea what this machine is, and where I could get
> more information on it?  I'd love to do a FreeBSD/Alpha article, but I

First supply a bit more info on what it looks like.

My first guess: Multia of some sorts?
--
Wilko Bulte 		Powered by FreeBSD  	http://www.freebsd.org
						http://www.tcja.nl