Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:43:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Keith Leonard <keithl@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ascii format Handbook???

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Keith Leonard wrote:

> I've written to questions@ before regarding this but since I don't
> download a new handbook daily it didn't bother me that no one could
> respond.
>
> When you download the ascii format handbook it is repleat with ^H which
> I have never been able to get any of 15 printers to respond properly to
> and get a mutalated manuscript.
>
> something like this:
>
> ******************************
>
>                               the ^H are in the spaces   |  |  |
> 			       F Fr re ee eB BS SD D H Ha an nd db bo oo ok k
>
> 		       The FreeBSD Documentation Project
>
> 				 October 1997
>

> 				   A Ab bs st tr ra ac ct t
>
>      Welcome to FreeBSD!  This handbook covers the installation and day
>      day use of F Fr re ee eB BS SD D R Re el le ea as se e 2 2. .2 2.
> .5 5. This manual is a w wo or rk k i in n p pr ro og gr re es ss s
>      and is the work of many individuals.  Many sections do not yet
> exist

> Thanks in Advance for your time
>
> --
> Keith
> Keith Leonard  -  keithl@earthlink.net
> Sr. Technical Advisor & Webmaster - http://www.rexart.com
> Rex Art Supplies

If you download the ascii version using ftp, you will indeed get
these ^H symbols in the document.

If you are downloading this to a unix system, you can indeed
get rid of the ^H symbols by piping the output through col -b.

If you download it to an MSDOS/WINDOWS system, you need a
word processor like Word or WordPerfect to do a substitution
on the ^H symbols.

It would be possible for the people who place these documents on
the server to perform this magic before it is placed there, but
they just don't do that.

Meanwhile there is under development a system to enable the
handbook to be produced in Rich Text Format.  This will make it
possible to print it without losing formatting.

If you have arranged for your printer to do postscript (e.g.,
with apsfilter) then you could download the postscript version
and print it that way.

	Annelise