Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:53:51 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>, Nathan Dorfman <nathan@senate.org>, FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrading XFree86

On Sun, Jul 13, 1997 at 11:49:46AM -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
>Chuck Robey:
> |I want to upgrade my XFree86 to 3.3, but I have a ton of stuff in my
> |existing /usr/X11R6 ... does anyone know if XFree86 can be upgraded via an
> |overlay?  Otherwise, this's gonna be the upgrade from hell ...
>
>I know what you mean.  For the same reason we compile non-X ports into
>/usr/local, I'd sure like to see our X ports compiled for /usr/local/X11.
>
>I've never untarring on top of an existing dist because: 1) some XFree
>alphas I believe have mentioned, don't do that -- it won't work, and 2) if

Did they?  No XFree86 alphas were ever made available to the public,
and all of the public releases could be installed in this way (that's
how I always install them).  The only caveat is that the provided
preinst.sh script should be run first.  There has been the odd case of
a file being replaced with a directory of the same name, and the provided
script would remove such files first.

>I don't like the new version, I'll want to go back or switch back and forth
>to help debug the new, and no guarentee that untarring the old on top will
>get me back to square 1 (likely, but no guarentee).  [Backing the whole
>thing up first is a pain and a space killer, and (for me) the only reason
>to do that is because all our ports are mingled into the files].  I instead

Another reason to back things up is if you've customised anything within
/usr/X11R6.  I guess everyone has to weigh up the pain of backing up
against the pain of recovering from problems (even unrelated ones like
a disk failure).

>use a custom script to cross-link all the port files into the new distdir,
>and then make /usr/X11R6 a symlink.  Works, but wish it wasn't necessary.

Each to his own.  I personally find it much simpler to backup the old
directory.

David