Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:13:26 -0400
From:      Gary Algier <gaa@dgms.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Subject:   Re: ppp starting without reason...

owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> In a previous message, Antoine Beaupre said:
> > Hi I recetnly tried to set up a PPP connection. I did everything as per
> > the handbook for setting up user ppp. However, my kernel seems to try to
> > establish a ppp  connection ***each time I start my system****!!!!
> >
> > How can I know which program is starting at startup (i.e. I know that
> > cron starts everytime), How can I modify which will start and which will
> > not?
>
> A guess is that it's trying to resolve hostnames via a remote dns.
>
> To find out, run tcpdump to watch tun0 to see what goes out.

The cuprit is probably sendmail.  I had the same problem.  When sendmail
started, PPP started.  A quick test is to configure your system to
not run sendmail.  I solved the problem by adding filters to not startup
PPP on whatever was being sent by sendmail.

See the ppp man page in the section "PACKET FILTERING".  You want the
"dfilter".

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier@dgms.com              +1 609 608 2758
DGM&S Telecom, 1025 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 609 866 8850