Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:35:51 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting old FreeBSD drive

David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu> types:
> I really hosed my system up with the last cvsup/mergemaster. All of the
> files are still there something is just screwed up with getty and /dev.
>
> Anyways, I've reinstalled 4.2-R on a different drive. Is it possible for
> me to get to the /usr partition on the old drive setting it to slave? I've
> figured out how to mount the drive in fstab but I can only see / and I
> need to mount /usr. The slave drive is 4.2-S and is partitioned with /,
> /usr, /var, and swap.

You don't mount drives; you mount partitions. You need to mount all
the partitions on the old drive - probably into the files they mounted
on in your old root (i.e. - if you mounted the old / as /old, then
mount the old /usr as /old/usr, and the old /var as /old/var). There
is no reason to mount the old swap if you've got a new one already,
unless you just want lots of swap space.

Do *not* mount the old /usr as /usr; that will put kernel and userland
out of sync, which is asking for trouble.

	<mike