Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:39:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, taob@vex.net, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/login.conf and xdm logins

A refreshing break perhaps consideration of this problem will be for
beleagured -current readers :)

Any luck with just the plain vanilla system with stock /etc/login.conf, no
class memberships in /etc/master.passwd, telnet login as root?  I have the
same problem as satoshi.  I can't even seem to get the default: values to
come up.  The best I can do in my tcsh is to say 'unlimit' which gives me:

# limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        65536 kbytes
datasize        32768 kbytes
stacksize       16384 kbytes
coredumpsize    0 kbytes
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     8232
memorylocked    126344 kbytes
maxproc         4115

In my kernel config I have:

options         "MAXDSIZ=201326592UL"
options         "DFLDSIZ=134217728UL"
options         "DFLSSIZ=33554432UL"

which results in the expected increases on a 2.2 system after a tcsh
unlimit.

I was able to use limits(1) to override filesize to infinity for a bonnie
run, but I can't seem to make it stick.

Btw, the limits(1) man page xrefs a non-existing ulimit(1) page, too.

-Chris