Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:25:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Admin <admin@8hill.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hung up

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Admin wrote:

Please configure your mail client to format your messages to ~72
characters per line to make your mail more easily readable on a wide
variety of clients.

> Hi,
>       I am a hardcore NEWBIE... I was installing for the first time,
> Pentium 100 32 MB RAM. 1.5 gig HD.CDROM, and everything was going good
> untill I got to the NIC configuration, it asked if I wanted to search
> for a DHCP server which I have running

Is this to say that somewhere on your LAN you have your OWN DHCP server,
or do you mean your ISP uses DHCP?

> but it hung there, I had to

Perhaps your network card settings were not correct, or your interface
settings were not correct.  In order to help isolate the problem, if you
know your relevant network numbers (current IP, domain, gateway, name
servers, etc), try skipping DHCP and entering everything manually.  If
THAT doesn't work, then it's a good bet that either your ISP is down, or
there was a problem driving your NIC.

Since you can boot, please send us the full output of the `dmesg` command
(cut and paste, please).

> turn it off, I was able to get into the system but things jsut aren't
> right, I can log in as root, but withouta password Im just not sure if
> I screwed the install up , any Ideas as too what I shoud do .
> Reinstall?? I don't know....

I'm assuming you installed off of CDROM or a local disk if you can now
boot.  Do you receive any error messages on bootup after the filesystems
are mounted?  (i.e., when all the packages and daemons are loading?)  If
your system seems to boot normally, you probably won't have to reinstall.
You probably WILL see some error messages related to internet
connectivity, though... Since your network interface isn't configured
properly.

At that point, you may have to try some different options in your kernel
config and verify that the IO and IRQ addresses set for your NIC are
correct.  Also, verify that your NIC *is* supported under FreeBSD (check
HARDWARE.TXT), and verify that you are using the correct driver.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2