Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 1996 13:19:39 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Steve Marmer <ids@interlog.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Panic mounting root

Chuck Robey wrote:

> > > Actually, it applies to both, but scsi drives all support more flexible
> > > remapping of sectors to make them all fit under 1024 cylinders, so they
> > > don't feel the pinch.  BTW, the whole partition DOES NOT have to be under
> > > 1024 cylinders, just the boot sector of that partition.
> > >

> > Chuck, While we're on the subject I'd like to clear this up in
> > my mind.
> >
> > A FreeBSD slice is:   Sections of a partition??
> > So properly stated:   Only the root slice needs to be under 1024.
> >                       (If needed :)
> > Is that about how it works.. I never fully understood the slice.
> > The need to fully understand hasn't came upon me yet.. :)
> >
> > I'm not a SCSI guru, But it is my understanding that SCSI's access
> > in a LBA method.
> > ie:   c:0 h:0 s:0 = LBA 0
> >       c:0 h:0 s:1 = LBA 1
> >       etc ...
> >       etc ...
> >
> > It is also my understanding that most OS's (Advanced OS's) also use
> > a LBA method.
> > So if your drive uses CHS, The bios has to translate OS calls
> > to/from CHS to write/read.
> >
> > But like I said, I'm no guru on the internals of disk IO.
> > I welcome the knowledge though.
>
> I don't use IDE drives, and LBA refers ONLY to IDE drive remapping, so I'm
> just a little hazy on it.  SCSI systems have no LBA as such.  SCSI
> controllers have 2 options on remapping, depending on the size of the
> drive, and that essentially removes any consideration, because the
> remappings available move the entire drive inside 1024 cylinders.

Ok, I used LBA method for a reason, I was under the impression that
SCSI disks didn't use a CHS scheme, So I used LBA method as a
alternative for my question..

But the way I see your explanation below they do.

> Understand that the word 'partition' has two meanings here, which is the
> base cause of all the confusion.  Dos partitions are areas of the disk set
> aside and noted in partition tables.  The location of the partition tables
> is set in stone, a standard.  For Unixes, on computers OTHER THAN pc
> compatibles, this is also true.  The trouble comes in the way the standard
> unix disk partitioning has been adapted to work with PC disks.
>
> FOR PC DISKS, FreeBSD makes 'partitions' or slices (same meaning here) by
> taking a dos partition and splitting it up.  Thus, multiple FreeBSD
> partitions (or slices, I like slices much better for the word here) sit
> inside a dos partition.  On an earlier machine of mine, I had 4 dos
> partitions, where I used partition 1 for a small dos segment, and
> partition 2 for FreeBSD.  FreeBSD then took that partition 2, and split it
> into three of what it calls partitions, which has nothing in common with
> the dos partition table at all.
>
> FreeBSD keeps track of it's partitions using the disklabel, which might be
> loosely called it's equivalent of a dos partition label.  The disklabel
> resides inside one dos partition, and defines the slices (or partitioning)
> that FreeBSD uses of it's dos partition.  On that older system of mine, I
> had three FreeBSD slices, all of which sat in the second dos partition.
>
> To get a new partition, on a new disk or something, to be useful to
> FreeBSD, first you use your dos tool (or FreeBSD's sysinstall) to define
> the dos partition.  That gives you an area on that disk that you can use
> for FreeBSD.  Then, after you decide how you're going to use the FreeBSD
> part (how many chunks are you going to cut it into, what size, what
> filesystems you'll put there) then you disklabel the FreeBSD partition,
> whic tells FreeBSD how to use it's partition.  If you're going to have any
> of the FreeBSD slices bootable, then make sure that slice is below 1024
> cylinders.  That means, of course, that at least part of the dos partition
> that FreeBSD is using is also below 1024.
>
> After you've disklabeled the FreeBSD slices, then you can newfs the slices
> so that they can be used by FreeBSD.  You'll probably want to modify your
> /etc/fstab so that FreeBSD will use the partition the way you want, either
> for swapping, or for some mountable filesystem.
>
> Have I completely confused you yet?

Nope, In fact I got a grip on it.. Thanks!

> This problem wouldn't exist on, say, a DEC system, because the Unix
> partitioning is the base system for the disk, but for PCs, they stick the
> structure inside the dos partition structure, and then called it with
> names guaranteed to cause confusion.

Confusion, Yup, Thats a fact.. :)

Thanks for the clearity.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848