Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 1995 10:38:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@ernie.altona.ppp.net (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: isdn driver info?

>From the keyboard of Jordan K. Hubbard:

> > There is no established standard available until now which specifies how
> > to talk to pc type ISDN boards on the hardware level so the driver is
> > in its current version pretty much bound to a given hardware.
>
> I'm not surprised, though perhaps we can work on generalizing this as
> a second pass?

IMHO, the way to go is to support boards which have a (standardized)
CAPI in firmware, which leaves only (!!) the problem of the never
standardized hardware access to the board.

Also, some sort of layering scheme Julian did in the scsi driver would
be a BIG win ...

> If someone comes up with a non-GPL'd ISDN driver that works better
> than this one, hey!  I'll nuke it back out of the tree in a second!
> :-) Nothing really relies on it, so it would be very easy to remove it
> again.

I did not want to blame the driver, really its a start, and starting is
the worst thing in writing a driver ;-)

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis             hm@altona.ppp.net                Hamburg, Europe