Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 18:38:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Reeh <michaelr@ss454.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Edy Lou <louedy@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't setup my Ethernet Card

what you need to do is first check the hardware compatability list (dont
remember the url, something off www.freebsd.org).. thats probly your best
bet, but *always* check the chipset of your card and then see if thats
supported. for example, i have some generic no-name pci NIC but it has a
DEC 21140 chipset, which is supported, by the 'de' driver..

another good thing to do is check the mailing list archives at
freebsd.org | search ......... if you dont find something w/ those
attempts then you're probably out of luck for now, but one thing i wouldnt
do is just use a generic/bootdisk kernel to auto-detect your card.... i
wouldnt rely on that method, rather. good luck

mike reeh
michaelr@ss454.dyn.ml.org