Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:28:42 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote logging

> To develop this further: people trying to handle these issues have
> _multiple_ networks.  Each important (public) host has two NICs
> and is on both.
>
> The loghost is on that private 'administrative' network, and is
> locked down to death.  Along with any terminal servers, backup
> servers, etc.  These are machines that are the support structure
> of your LAN.  If you allow logins at all, you would have in place
> strict access controls.
>
> Mind you, if one of the dual-homed hosts gets compromised, then
> the attacker could take steps to congest that administrative network,
> or congest the loghost.  That's where an adaptive switch comes in,
> however you implement that.

One way I was thinking of doing this at one stage was to set up a
"stealth" filtering box which was configured as a bridge (it didn't
even have IP addresses), and basically let almost all traffic straight
through, except syslog stuff which it punted to a special machine
off to the side which did the logging (which could even be duplicating
an internal IP address, given that the filtering box wasn't doing layer 3
routing).

At the time I had been looking at ipfilter, but I think ipfw has all
the bits that are needed.

> > So, despite the secure log host, he might not get the valuable
> > info he needs.  I suppose you could then start speculating a break in if
> > there are no more MARKs since syslogd is dead.
>
> I'm not certain which syslogd you're referring to, here.

I assume he's referring to the "mark" facility, which causes syslogd
to generate messages every twenty minutes.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319