Date:      Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:12:15 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chmod -R g+w /usr/ports?

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:06:46PM +0900, Joel wrote:
> > > What am I missing, besides the obvious -- make install won't fly without
> > > su or sudo?
> >
> > you're missing WRKDIRPREFIX
>
> Thanks, t.
>
> Does that mean that if the port honors WRKDIRPREFIX, I can even
> make install without switching to root? No?

No (as someone else already pointed out).

> Actually, what I'm trying to ask about is the advisability of opening
> the ports tree to writes from the group, if I make sure the only member
> of wheel is the admin user I use for installs. (I hardly make sense to
> myself sometimes.)

There is no need to do that if you set WRKDIRPREFIX and DISTDIR. The
former can be cleaned out before a make, so write permissions for
non-wheel users are no problem. And since distfiles have their hash
values checked before extraction, having user write permissions for the
latter also is no problem.