Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:20:10 -0500
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Best choice for PC/104 audio board in FreeBSD

Hello,
I bought one of the GCT-Allwell set-top box (3036N) development kits a while
back with the thought of turning it into an MP3 player. Although I have been
pleased with the machine overall, it does have one irritating problem - the
audio causes applications to hang. I have eliminated everything else (the
little machine ran seti@home for 2 months without a single hiccup) and the
files have been played both from the local IDE hard disk, and via NFS. This
is unfortunate, given that the box has a built-in 16 bit audio system that
is Sound Blaster compatible (and easy to configure).

So, I now have three options. I can put the MP3 server itself in the living
room (which isn't a terribly great idea, what with 10k rpm Ultra160 SCSI
drive in it), run audio cables through the wall - or put a sound board in
the 3036N. I think the latter is the best bet.

Unfortunately, I have the single PCI/ISA slot filled with a necessary SCSI
adapter (for the CD ROM), so I've been looking at PC/104 sound boards. Most
of the ones I have found are Soundblaster Pro compatible (or Windows Sound
System). They all have DOS drivers.

Can anyone recommend a good PC/104 sound board that is known to work under
FreeBSD? Given that the best price I have seen (for a relatively older tech
board) has been $96 - I'd like to know the thing will run with the OSS
drivers. Alternately, has anyone figured out why the sound on the 3036N
causes apps to segfault. It must be hardware, because it occurs under Linux
(along with a terrible screeching noise), Windows, BeOS and QNX. Same
behaviour - sound apps fail or freeze.

The PC/104 option is the most attractive - as I can put the board inside the
box and use the headers on the board to route the sound to the onboard
connectors. I have access to a number of input/output connectors to the
onboard audio hardware.

The hardware particulars are fairly well known, but to be complete:
System: Allwell STB 3036N with NS Geode GX1 processor running at 300Mhz.
Geode processor has a built in audio system. PCI/ISA slot has Adaptec 2940AU
supporting an external CD-ROM.

OS: FreeBSD 4.4-Release (recompiled with limited driver support)

Any help is most appreciated, though followups to jshamlet@hotmail.com would
be helpful, as I am one of the poor bastards that may be cut off this Friday
when Excite@home goes tits up...

Seth Henry
jshamlet@home.com