Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:33:47 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Makefile unification

Apparently, On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 09:42:22PM -0700,
	Warner Losh said words to the effect of;

> I took some time out to update my Makefiles and redo my kern.mk
> patches that had gotten out of date before I could get them done.
> These patches are up to date and appear to work for me on i386 (and
> maybe pc98, it is building now):
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/Pkern
>
> It creates a new src/sys/conf/kern.mk that contains most of the guts
> of the kernel makefiles to make it even easier to keep them all in
> sync.
>
> Please let me know what you think and if I've broken anything,
> especially for non x86 MACHINE_ARCH.
>
> Warner

There are a couple problems in Makefile.sparc64:

The first .include should be kern1.mk, not kern2.mk.

The rule for exception.o needs to be after the include of
kern2.mk or else "make" in the compile directory just builds
exception.o instead of the whole kernel.  I guess "make all"
would work.

-Wl,shared in HACK_EXTRA_FLAGS should be -Wl,-shared.  btw, this
is probably due to using a stock gcc cross compiler instead of
the soon to be in tree tool chain; it doesn't DTRT for -shared
apparently.

I had to add FMT=  (ie nothing) in Makefile.sparc64 so -elf isn't
passed to the linker.  This is also probably due to using a stock
gcc; the linker takes -elf to be -e lf and tries to make "lf" be
the entry point (which obviously doesn't exist).

I've put the modified Makefile.sparc64 up here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/Makefile.sparc64

Other than that it seems to work fine.  Thanks!

Jake