Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 22:22:20 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   de0 when bt0 is present == much sadness

Gurus:

I'm adding a DEC-21041 based PCI Ethernet card (Kingston EtheRx, if
you're curious) to a FreeBSD system that has a BusLogic BT-946C PCI
SCSI controller.  I thought it'd be as simple as adding

	device de0

to my kernel config and jumping through the usual hoops.  Upon reboot,
I'm greeted with this new message:

   de0 <Digital DC21041 Ethernet> rev 17 int a irq 15 on pci0:11
   @@@ pcibus_ihandler_attach: result=16
           irq 15 already in use.
   de0: couldn't map interrupt

Yay, it found the card! :-)
Boo, it can't use it! :-(

So, I looked through the pci code and it looks like it's trying to
register an interrupt handler for IRQ 15.  Problem is, someone already
assigned one: the bt0 controller:

   bt0 at 0x334 irq 15 on isa

To test this theory, I rebooted with -c and disabled the bt0.  Sure
enough, the FreeBSD kernel is a heck of a lot happier when it probes
along and gets to de0 ... telling me the station address and other
nifty stuff.  Then it panics unable to mount the root directory, which
makes sense since there's no SCSI controller anymore.

What can I do?

By the way, why does the other pci irq15 device (vga0) not complain
that someone's already using irq15?

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov