Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:54:50 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        rtjohan@syspres.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restoring vinum root from dump

--eBTWNsZZiigckDWV

On Sunday, 12 October 2003 at 16:26:10 -0700, rtjohan@syspres.com wrote:
> [Oops, didn't realize that the thread id was captured in email. Should
> have known, sorry.]
>
> My terminology is all wrong. Just want to do a system restore.
>
> Have two 200GB disks using vinum mirroring for vinum volumes: /, /usr,
> /usr/local, /usr/ports, /usr/home, /var, and /tmp.
> Have one standalone 100GB backup disk.
>
> Did a restore before, but messed everything up and ended up reinstalling
> + redoing vinum setup. Don't want to do that again, so figured best to
> ask and make sure to use the correct restore process.
>
> Should anything special be done during a full restore since volumes are
> mirrored vinum volumes?
> I have complete dump images of the following vinum volumes : /, /usr,
> /usr/local, /usr/ports, /usr/home, /var.
>
> Was wondering if I should take primary drive down and boot from
> secondary drive into single user mode. Then mount the primary drive and
> restore the volumes to the primary drive. Then bring primary drive back
> up and reboot normally and run from primary drive.

There's nothing special that you *need* to do for restoring to a Vinum
volume.  There are, however, things that are important when restoring
system components.  In particular, if you restore /usr/lib you'll
replace the C library /usr/lib/libc.so.  It's then possible to crash
dynamically linked processes (since they no longer have libraries),
after which you could be left with a mainly unusable system.

Vinum offers a solution to this problem, as you've noted: detach a
plex from each volume and restore to it.  Then do some magic in single
user mode to remove the other plex and attach the one you've just
restored to.  I'm not quite sure about the best way of doing this.
I'll think about it, but if anybody else has suggestions for doing
this with the least chance of shooting yourself in the foot, I'd be
interested to hear them.

Greg

--eBTWNsZZiigckDWV

--eBTWNsZZiigckDWV--