Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 16:51:29 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
Cc:        Pedro A M Vazquez <vazquez@iqm.unicamp.br>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The Case of Thomas Vs. E&S ([MESA:12] OpenGL for Linux )

On Fri, 12 May 1995, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Whats all the fuzz about the Real3d chipset?
> 	Well, imagine a high-end SGI graphics workstation sitting
> 	on your desk but at a fraction of the cost of an SGI workstation.

    I'll believe it when I see it.  :)  The Real3D card still has to
deal with the PC bus and memory architecture.  How des Real3D (or
Martin Marietta) feel about releasing/licensing driver information to
us free OS people?  Any type of 3D graphics work calls for specialized
hardware.  Software is portable, but excruciatingly slow.  I was
playing with Xmgf (a 3D object viewer for X/Motif) on my FreeBSD box.
Even the most basic Indy configuration (less than $10K) blows away the
PC when rotating, scaling and rendering these objects.  Same goes for
X11/Motif Geomview vs. GL-enabled Geomview.  No comparison.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org