Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:21:42 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp, motoyuki@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Which LAN PCCARD for FreeBSD (no PAO!)

In article <199903281642.JAA07849@mt.sri.com>
nate@mt.sri.com writes:

>> I was not always negative towards PAO, and neither was the person who
>> was before me (PHK).  But, after attempting to work with the PAO folks,
>> it became very frustrating to see that they had no intention of working
>> 'with' the FreeBSD folks to provide a 'joint' project.

I admit that part of this problem was due to me because I was terribly
busy one or two years ago (I changed my job, etc.), and unfortunately,
PAO was developped in centralized style these days (this means that
the bottleneck was me).

Today I have more spare time and PAO has moved to distributed
developping style.  We can work together now.  I haven't thought that
we won't work together, and I haven't thought and don't think that PAO
is the best code and should be merged without many bug fix, as I wrote
in README of PAO.

In fact, I prepared the powerful CardBus desktop machine dedicated to
-current and I want to start working about -current's PC-card/CardBus
support.

>> > 3. Many PAO people go to newconfig project. (me too)
>>
>> I know very little about newconfig, but as I understand it the FreeBSD
>> core team is not interested in using newconfig, so any work you do using
>> it is wasted effort.  Note, I was not part of that decision (I'm no core
>> member), but I do respect their technical ability.

At least, *I* haven't moved to newconfig and neutral about it.  I
agree that new bus architecture is disired.  But I have little
knowledge about the technical differences between newconfig and
new-bus.  Somebody can explain it briefly?

>> [ Features I liked in PAO mostly delted ]

>> > hu-m. ATA support is temporary. Because, original wdc depend
>> > isa_biotab_wdc[] of ioconf.c and re-write is hard. So, we will
>> > rewrite on newconfig project.
>>
>> Warner Losh is already re-writing it, and I suspect (I'll let him
>> correct me if I'm wrong) he's using the ideas and possibly some of the
>> code from the PAO patches.

I welcome it.  I'd like to see the code.  The PAO implementation of
multiple I/O window is ugly, and I have wanted to re-write it for
long.

>> > I disagree. PCIC is true ISA device. Now, CardBus controller is
>> > used by Legacy-mode, so it should be probe as ISA device (and
>> > additionaly PCI setup). (It likes wdc driver.)
>>
>> I disagree.  PCIC is not an ISA device, but a completely new (and
>> separate) device.  It should be able to deal with other devices w/out
>> knowing the details of the controller.

Practically, *I* think that I'll be satisfied if PCIC I/O address can
be configured without compiling kernel.  I'll test it on my new
-current CardBus machine.

By the way, perhaps this helps to port the new drivers to -current.

http://wing-yee.ntc.keio.ac.jp/PAO/PAO3-19990329-beta.tar.gz

Again, I *don't* want to merge it in -current without fixes (this is
the port of PAO to 3.1-RELEASE and many problems of PAO still
remains).  But it'll be the better basis in merging new drivers into
-current.
--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
Information Technology Center