Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:35:46 -0800
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EzBSD aint for me! Was: A breath of fresh air..

> John writes:
> > So every little Johnny that had a Nintendo as
> > a kid is now qualfied IT professional?

> No, but people who had computers as kids (and are now adults) probably
> know more about IT than the average person.

There's a big difference between being able to use a computer and
knowing how computers, networks, and other IT-related infrastructures
work.  There's also a big difference between being computer-literate
person, and having IT-related skills.

For instance, my Mom has been using computers since the age of
mainframes, green screens, and Hercules monochrome adapters on 8086
boxes.  However, when it comes to anything beyond turning the PC on,
opening WordPerfect, and printing letters, she's completely clueless.

According to your specs, she should be the head of a large IT department
now, as she had and was using computers back before computers were a
household item.  Guess I should tell her she's in the wrong line of work.

It takes a lot more than just having a computer or a gaming system to
become an IT professional, or even just IT experienced.

But, it doesn't take IT knowledge to install an operating system.  All
it takes is common sense and the ability to read and to think for
yourself.  It's just too bad those last three are in such short supply
these days.  :(

I've had three computers in my life: an 8088 XT, a 486, and a Pentium
laptop.  I've also had a Nintendo and a GameBoy.  With no other
experience than game playing and essay writing on the computer, I have
been able to install Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT, and 2000, FreeBSD 2.2.8,
3.1, and 4.0-4.4, as well as OpenBSD 3.1.  All it took was a little
reading and some trial and error.  It's not rocket science.  And, yes,
anyone can do it, IT experience or not.

Cheers,
Freddie			PhoenixTek Consulting
fcash@bigfoot.com	Unix / Networking Services