Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 02:58:12 +0100
From:      Raf Schietekat <sky92136@skynet.be>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   X-Windows

If this is not the appropriate address for this kind of message, please
excuse me, and let me know where I should have sent it.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-understanding.html

``X Windows'' is to be avoided wherever possible; see X(1) for more
information.
<<<<<

The link for X(1) http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=X&sektion=1
does not work.

The reader is led to expect the reason to avoid "X Windows" at the other
end of the link, but "man X" on 4.4_RELEASE only provides a list of
allowed forms, and no confirmation of my assumption that it's because
Microsoft made "Windows" a trademark, even though "X-Windows" used to be
the normal name for the "X Window System" (was it? is my assumption
correct?).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html

Now, whenever invoke X-Windows with startx, KDE2  will be the desktop.
<<<<<

How about checking the whole handbook for occurrences of "X-Windows"
(with or without hyphen), just to avoid inconsistency? I nevertheless
also propose to systematically use "Microsoft Windows" or "MS Windows"
instead of just "Windows".

Raf Schietekat <Raf_Schietekat@ieee.org>