Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:00:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anyone using adaptec 29160

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

>What kind of drives were connected to them?  I have u2w drives and
>have been using this since early 4.0-stable.  My latest kernel is from
>August 15th.

An IBM U2W LVD drive.  It's not U160.  Well, August 15th is from a point
before a plethora of commits to ahc.  I would recommend you, if nothing
else, compile a kernel from recent RELENG_4 sources and see if it boots.
I wouldn't go upgrading your world or anything until you're sure the new
kernel will boot.  I'm finally going back to work this Thursday, my last
theatre performance being this evening(gotta take at least a day off to
relax =), and when I do I plan to get a null modem cable hooked up to
that machine and start logging the panic output and see if I can't get
into the kernel debugger, and even if I cannot dump to disk without a
working SCSI driver, I can log the output of the debugger on another
machine.  I know Justin is likely sicking of hearing sporadic reports
from me when I get a moment to test more code.  I'm sure he'll
appreciate it if I write up all of these logs into a nice, formal PR and
give him something to work with.  =)

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying