Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:50:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Subject:   Re: skype-2.0.0.72,1 && font size

Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
 > It is a xorg.conf in a VMWare virtual machine and it shows:
 >
 > $ xdpyinfo | grep dots
 >   resolution:    230x173 dots per inch
 >
 > Sould it be adjusted to 100x100? Thanks for your hint

Yes, unless your display is 21.2 x 15.9 cm (at 1920 x 1080
pixels), which seems unlikely.  :-)

When the dpi value is incorrect, i.e. too high, then some
applications will think that your screen is much smaller
than it really is, so they adjust the sizes of fonts and
icons to be bigger.  This is exactly the symptom that you
are seeing.

For a quick check, restart your X server with the option
-dpi 100 (or modify your xorg.conf appropriately) and
verify the font sizes in your applications.  If it's
better, then just keep it that way.

100 dpi should be correct for a screen that is ~ 22 inch.
One or two inches more or less won't hurt either.  If it's
less than 20 inch, you can also try 110 or 120 dpi.

If you're a perfectionist, you can calculate the exact
dpi value for your screen:  Divide the number of pixels
per row (horizontally) by the width of the screen in
inch (remember:  inch = cm / 2.54).  For example, my
screen here (also 1920 x 1080) is 47.7 cm wide, which
is 18.78 inch.  Thus:  1920 / 18.78 = 102 dpi.  I have
rounded it to 100 dpi.

You can also enter the width (in mm) directly in xorg.conf
(see my previous reply in this thread), so the X server
will calculate the dpi value itself.  Personally I prefer
the dpi value to be a round number, so I specify it on
the X command line directly.

In many (most?) cases, when using digital connections such
as HDMI, the X server detects the correct display size
automatically, so there is no need to modify the dpi value
manually.  However, since you're running inside a VMWare
virtual machine, I guess that this autodetection doesn't
work through the virtualization layer.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I started using PostgreSQL around a month ago, and the feeling is
similar to the switch from Linux to FreeBSD in '96 -- 'wow!'."
        -- Oddbjorn Steffensen