Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:07:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UCD-SNMPd

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Khetan Gajjar wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've just installed ucd-snmp, and am using it in conjunction with mrtg
> to graph system bandwidth (as described in a earlier thread). I'm
> curious as to how to "secure" the snmpd, because as I understand it,
> right now it's wide open.

It's wide open in the sense that if you're using SNMPv1 to monitor/query
devices outside your local LAN control, your SNMP packets could be sniffed.
A modicum of security is provided by having different read and write
community strings.  You could also use access lists/filters to control
packet source/destination.  Of course, neither of these is foolproof.

SNMPvSEC is supposed to provide encryption of the community-strings (and
possibly the SNMP packet itself), but I haven't done enough homework to
speak authoritatively on the subject.
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions