Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 19:27:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP

(Sorry if this mail got responded to twice, my mail got messed up)
On Thu, 31 Aug 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Well, it didn't work. I disabled the external BIOS on the EIDE controller
> > like a few people had mentioned to me, and that seems to have worked.
> > The only problem I had is that it doesn't write the MBR properly.
> I'm really not sure what the problem is here.  We'll look into it.

Another person let me know what the problem was, I just forgot to flag a
partition active. It might be a good idea to add something to the
sysinstall to check if there's a freebsd partition flagged active for
airheads like me who always forget about that stuff. :)

> Excuse me?  The ppp program is actually a fair bit more ADVANCED than
> the kernel ppp!  It's hardly archaic.

Sorry, I didn't quite mean it the way I said it.. Actually, my use of
archaic was a BIT too harsh and I apologize. I'm just used to using pppd.
I'm basically just used to using Linux and how it operates things. I can
connect with pppd (on linux at least) with just "/usr/lib/ppp/pppd
/dev/cua1 38400 crtscts connect '/usr/lib/ppp/chat -v -t 60 -f
/scripts/script' defaultroute". Setting up all of those /etc/ppp/ppp.*
files just seemed a bit foreign to me. (And not to mention difficult since
I don't know all that much about the networking side.) The FreeBSD
handbook section on PPP was helpful though. My problems with the iijppd
program are probably mostly because I didn't RTFM.

It comes down to that if I'm going to use FreeBSD, I'm going to have to
learn how a REAL UNIX handles this stuff. :)

> > Also, there's a really kewl thing for Linux that I don't think I could
> > live without called gpm. If you're not familiar with it, what it does is
> We know about this one.  We'll do it someday when we find someone with
> the requisite amount of free time and ability! :-(

I wish I could do it. I've got plenty of time, but I am severely lacking
knowledge in the areas of the FreeBSD console mouse support, and most
importantly, C. I can usually play around with programs that won't compile
here on my Linux system and get them to compile about 70% of the time, but
that's about the extent of my programming knowledge. Do you know of any
good UNIX C books that would be good for FreeBSD? I REALLY need to learn
C..

Thanks for all of the help you've given me on getting FreeBSD working. I
really appreciate it. I'm getting to the point where I just want to
forget about getting the CD and just FTP the stuff I need to my DOS
partition and install it from there. :)

The User/X distribution with the kernel sources should fit compressed in
about 60 megs, right? And on that, is there anything that tells what the
different packages are? Like I know that the bin.* is the base system,
manpages.* are (duh) the manpages, and ssys.* is the kernel sources.
That'll ALL I know though.

Thanks again :)
Dave