Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:14:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        drek@MonsterByMistake.Com (Agent Drek)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: access floppy rw to lock system

As I recall, Agent Drek wrote:

> I have a repeatable problem on my FreeBSD-3.4Stable workstation.  If
> the floppy disk is physically tabbed as read-only and I mount it rw I
> can then 'lock' the system up by using vim (to read a text-file on the
> disk ...  less had the same problem).  Is this expected behaviour?  I
> did this from the console and could still <Alt> between the virtual
> consoles.  The only way to get going again was to reboot.  After that
> happened twice I tabbed the disk writable and things were fine.

I'd start by asking, "Why would you do that?"

If you make the media read-only at the hardware level, by all means
mount it read-only.

If you're just asking why this interesting phenomenon occurs, that's
a different question.  I'm not sure if it's an MS-DOS filesystem,
but a UFS mount will want to modify the superblock with the mount
time and mount point.

Mostly, I suspect, so that fsck can display that information.  :-)

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net