Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:23:41 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Bryan Liesner <bleez@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for testers of MFC'd ATA driver take 2.

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 06:34 pm, Bryan Liesner wrote:
| On 03/12/2002 05:17 PM, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
| > On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:28 am, Søren Schmidt wrote:
| > | Please let me know if this fixes problems you had before
| > | or brings forward new ones, and success stories are as
| > | usual always welcome :)
| > |
| > | Thanks!!
| > |
| > | -Søren
| >
| > Sorry, I previously said that it was working fine (both version I and
| > version II).  However, I'm an idiot.
| >
| > I never tried my CD-ROM!
| >
| > Today I finally did, and it doesn't work at all -- it says "device not
| > configured" when I try to access it.  I double-checked, and if I boot
| > with my original installed kernel, the CD-ROM still works fine; moreover,
| > my custom kernel does have the CD-ROM enabled (CD9660 and atapicd).  I do
| > have this set, FWIW, and perhaps I should not:
|
| I had the same issue.  Try copying the patched MAKEDEV over to your
| /dev dir and remake the acd* devices.

Thanks!  That did it.

The MAKEDEV has actualy given me more trouble than anything else -- it didn't
change the /dev version, just the /usr/local/src version, and (though I
didn't notice this originally) a couple chunks fails from the patch.

In fact, the patch didn't work worth beans for the MAKDEV file; I finally
wound up just looking at the patch file and making the changes by hand.  When
I did this it was not at all obvious *why* the patches failed.  They seemed
valid to me, but for some reason patch could only apply one of the three
chunks, and that with a "fuzz of 2" (even though it looked like it had the
line spot-on to me).

Anyway, CDs are working again for me.  Thanks.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org