Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 20:04:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: dup3() - I've thought it over and decided...

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:

>Anyone remember a timesharing system called ITS (from MIT)?  If you
>got disconnected from the modem (not uncommon in those days of
>Pennywhistle, 300 baud acoustically-coupled modems :-) you wouldn't
>lose your session, like you do under UNIX, rather the next time you
>logged in it would ask you:
>
>[Attach your detached tree?]
>
>And if you said 'y' you'd get your old process tree back, everything
>right where you left it.
>
>Now I'm not sure if ITS accomplished this by leaving your processes
>suspended and under the ownership of some foster parent for a certain
>period of time, or if it genuinely saved them to disk and then
>resurrected them on demand, but it sure was a bloody convenient
>feature which I've always missed! :-)

Look at the "screen" port.  It can do this detach/reattach stuff even if
you only use one screen.  It uses pseudo terminals, of course.  Wonderful
stuff.  No need for checkpointing processes.

Then again, maybe we could get a good TOPS-10 emulation going.  Had lots
of fun in the Good Old Days(tm) of University detaching and reattaching
other people.  As usual, they had not the slightest comprehension of how
an OS worked, so it was all Black Magic to them. :-)

Stephen.