Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:14:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        Pete Ehlke <pde@ehlke.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> I wanted one with a table or comparable graphic, and with dates and actions.
> That's what timelines are supposed to be.  The text you quote does not
> provide dates.

the full text (which i didn't add in) does provide dates.

for example, paragraph 80:

	80. Executives at Microsoft received confirmation in early May
	1995 that Netscape was developing a version of Navigator to run on
	Windows 95, which was due to be released in a couple of months.
	Microsoft's senior executives understood that if they could
	prevent this version of Navigator from presenting alternatives to
	the Internet-related APIs in Windows 95, the technologies branded
	as Navigator would cease to present an alternative platform to
	developers. Even if non-Windows versions of Navigator exposed
	Internet-related APIs, applications written to those APIs would
	not run on the platform Microsoft executives expected to enjoy the
	largest installed base, i.e., Windows 95. So, as long as the
	version of Navigator written for Windows 95 relied on Microsoft's
	Internet-related APIs instead of exposing its own, developing for
	Navigator would not mean developing cross-platform. Developers of
	network-centric applications thus would not be drawn to
	Navigator's APIs in substantial numbers. Therefore, with the
	encouragement and support of Gates, a group of Microsoft
	executives commenced a campaign in the summer of 1995 to convince
	Netscape to halt its development of platform-level browsing
	technologies for Windows 95.

in the case of paragraphs 79 through 132 it seems to provide no less than
3 different timelines, well beyond just MS and NSCP (a quick review shows
Intel, IBM, Real Networks, and Apple..). i'm sure someone, somewhere, has
graphed this out in to an "easily referenced" graphical timeline. for my
purposes, this document will do.

sadly, this is not what i wanted to find..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/business/specials/microsofttrial/timeline/

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche