Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:42:03 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw rules

I'm using ipfw and natd for my home subnet.  The FreeBSD box acts as a
gateway to my ADSL connection.  I'm using the simple firewall as defined
in rc.firewall.  However, some of the default rules are preventing some
services from working.  But I don't understand why.

Below are the rules and a description of what they prevent when they are
enabled.  If someone could explain why the rule stops what it does, I
would appreciate it.

oif=ed0

# if either of the following two lines are enabled, it stops my Pegasus
# email client from accessing the POP server at my ISP
add deny all from 192.168.0.0:255.255.0.0 to any via ${oif}
add pass tcp from any to any setup

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited