Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:46:05 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg upgrade && new packages

Hello,

I have compiled the ports I do need with poudriere on one machine and
moved the resulting packages (~1400) to a repository /usr/PKGDIR on my
other machines to install from there. This way around 800 packages are
installed and all is fine.

I'm planing now to SVN update the jail for the ports, recompile all 'my'
ports and move them to a new repo, lets say /usr/PKGDIR.head;

What is the exact procedure to update all the installed packages from
the new repo /usr/PKGDIR.head? I have read the man page pkg-upgrade(8)
and it seems that it would do more or less what I want. But, it says for
example it will not install new packages. What will happen if an installed
package has now more/other dependency packages in /usr/PKGDIR.head as
the older version has, will those new depencies be installed by pkg-upgrade(8)?

Or would it be better to just remove all installed packages (how?) and
do pkg-install from scratch? Ofc, in this form one has to backup
configuration files in /usr/local/etc...

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign:
E-mail: guru@unixarea.de     |  \ /   - No HTML/RTF in E-mail