Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:53:41 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile distinfo  pkg-plistpkg-plist.alpha pkg-plist.pc98 ports/x11/XFree86-4/files  patch-dpatch-xthreads ports/x11/XFree86-4/scripts configure

Glenn Johnson wrote:

> >  > Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:
> >
> >  >> Note that freetype2 is now part of the base 4.0.3
> >  >> distribution. The freetype2 include and libs files are always
> >  >> installed.
> >
> >  > Huh, I'm not sure that it is a Good Thing [tm]. Are the
> >  > library/includes installed customized somehow by the XFree project,
> >  > or it just a stock versions? If the latter, then we probably should
> >  > disable freetype2 building/installation along with XFree86 and use
> >  > stock version from the freetype2 port, because creating a namespace
> >  > conflict between freetype2 and XFree86 is a definitely a bad thing
> >  > and we all agreed about that some time ago when 4.0.2 was released.
> >
> > The situation is different from the 4.0.2 version. At this time the
> > build of freetype had to be done manually. This is no more the case
> > and if you install binaries from xfree86.org you will have freetype
> > installed. Freetype can be disabled (like many other build options)
> > and I will add this option in the configure script, but the default
> > will be to install freetype, because the port tries to follow the
> > official distribution.
>
> It seems that the following are missing from the XFree86-4.0.3 port
> after comparing it's plist with that of freetype2:
>
> include/freetype2/freetype/internal/internal.h
> bin/freetype-config

It is another strong reason why it is better to use stock freetype2 port
inistead of rollins XFree86 own version. This would essentially broke ports
that have freetype2 shared library in LIB_DEPENDS and expect to be able to use
freetype-config to get freetype2 compilation settings.

Jean-Marc, please either fix XFree86-4 to install *all* freetype2 files or
teach it how to use freetype2 library from the corresponding port.

-Maxim