Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:43:34 -0700
From:      Ryan O'Neill <ryanlists@hostbaby.com>
To:        knu@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   portupgrade/pkgdb/pkgtools' ALT_PKGDEP

I've been trying to get this ALT_PKGDEP from pkgtools.conf feature to work all
day and i'm now wondering if it's even supposed to be working?  Or is it
brand new and still in testing phase?

I've been playing with two basic rules.. converting mysql323-client
dependencies to mysql40-client, and deleting any qmail dependencies, since we
are installing it from the source, not ports:
ALT_PKGDEP = {
  'mysql*client-*' => 'mysql40-client',
  'qmail' => :delete,
}

Neither of these seem to work.  I've tried many different variations of these
globs (with and without asteriks, etc), but nothing i do makes a difference.
Obviously, i'm using the latest portupgrade version (20030427).

This is the first time i've dug into some Ruby code, but as far as i can tell,
when it actually checks this ALT_PKGDEP hash, it is runs:
pkgdb.match(my_glob_in_pkgtools.conf, the_missing_dependency)
(line 618 of /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb)

And .match runs:
glob(my_glob_in_pkgtools.conf)
(line 860 of /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgdb.rb)

..which apparently searches all my packages for anything matching that
pattern?  And then checks the return value of that with
the_missing_dependency?

Well it seems to me that it's never going to find qmail, since i never
installed the port, thus it will never automatically delete the dependency.
Bug? :)

I'm still baffled why it won't find the mysql port.  Maybe my glob is
malformed?  Maybe i need a regexp?  (like i said, i've already tried a bunch
of stuff, but nothing seems to work)

Not a big deal (i can always fix em manually), it's just a cool feature, and
it'd be even cooler if it worked :)

Thnx

--
HOSTBABY.COM - web hosting for musicians
Ryan O'Neill - ryan@hostbaby.com