Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:06:53 +0000
From:      amobbs@allstor-sw.co.uk
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@research.kpn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: cdrom speed adjustment ioctl

>There would not be such a thing for SCSI cdrom's too? It would probably
>squeeze a few extra months out of my cdrom player. On some cd's (mainly ones
>you get with magazines and books) it's making gut-wrenching noises and
>spinning up and down all the time.

No idea if there's an ioctl, but you should be able to do this with camcontrol,
e.g. if your drive supports the MMC Set CD Speed command:

camcontrol -n cd -u <n> -c "BB 00 XX XX 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00"

Where <n> is the number of the CD device you want to set the speed of, and XX XX
is the hex of the desired speed in kbps.

Andrew.