Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:27:22 -0600
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   external app logging to syslog

We have Imail's POP service logging to a FreeBSD4.4 machine.  The app is
seen in the syslog lines as "POP3D".  It is being written to messages file
with this as-installed syslog.conf line:

*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err; /var/log/messages

How do we stop it from being logged there? under which facility.level is it
being caught?

We have it also logging as a app like this:

!POP3D
*.*    /var/log/poplog
*.none /var/log/messages

and so want to remove it from messages.   (2nd line doesn't "none" it out
of messages)

Running "syslog -d" gave lotsa of info but we still can't see specifically
how POP3D is winding up in messages.

thanks
Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training