Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 1995 06:44:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: NEW_SCSICONF

Julian Elischer writes:

> > Can someone explain the history of "NEW_SCSICONF", and whether it should
> > be left in there?  I'd like to remove it.
> The NEW_SCSICONF stuff is an attempt to make some of the features
> of teh tape driver (e.g. rogue entries) more general to the
> SCSI system as a whole, and to rationalise some of the scsi
> systems's configuration actions and interfaces. It was implimented
> by the PCI driver crew, and has some good features. Don't just delete
> it.

How about keeping only NEW_SCSICONF and removing the default
case?  Is there any reason to keep them both?  I'll turn on
NEW_SCSICONF to make sure nothing breaks.

Also regarding NEW_SCSICONF: how about pushing the broken tape
drive data structures down into st and the broken disk drive data
structures down into sd, etc, instead of that single large table
in scsiconf.c?  I bet a lot of the #defines could be known only in
the "type" driver (st, st, etc) and we could reduce the exported
stuff in scsiconf.h.  Much of it is there to provide a coupling
between scisconf and the "type" driver.

> > Also, is anyone using the "predef" stuff in scsiconf.c?  I'd like to
> > remove it and replace it with a traditional config approach.
> yes I have used it but only on the OSF version of the code...

I removed it during adding the config code.  I haven't committed that
yet, though.

> Some of the things that need doing..
> 1/ examination of charles's changes in NetBSD, and the adoption of some
> quite astute simplifications and reallignments he's done.. (also bug-fixes)
> The difficult part in this is that he''s reformatted everything again,
> and the NetBSD config stuff is considerably different, leading to quite
> different softc structures and configuration routines.

Can you say what some of his astute simplifications are?  Where is
the NetBSD code archived on freefall?

> 2/ examination of the NEW_SCSICONF code and extraction of pertinant ideas
> and changes.

Or making NEW_SCSICONF the only SCSICONF, and possibly pushing it
down into the type drivers as I mentioned before.

> 3/ both sd and wd drivers should share more "how a disk behaves" code..
> 4/ the tape driver needs a good shake-out
> 5/ the cd driver needs code for audio-read (I have that for toshiba drives
> at least). possibly dependent on drive manufacturer.
> 6/ all-round documentation of interfaces... comments checked for correctness.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936