Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:53:09 +0900
From:      Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Artem.Bityuckiy@oktet.ru
Cc:        erm@dante.org.uk
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: iconv-2.0

Artem,

Artem Bityuckiy wrote:

> Hello Alexander.
>
> Thank you for your answers.
>
> The patch you sent have corrected euc-jp tables and now shift-jis ->
> euc-jp conversion works well. Thanks!
>
> We have ported iconv-2.0 to Newlib (freely available libc
> implementation use usually use in embedded systems). I think, this
> port will be contributed to Newlib later. We are planning to use it in
> future. We thought this iconv version is widely used and already had
> tested, but, unfortunately, it is not. We can't use GNU iconv because
> of its GNU license (We can only use BSD-licensed software).
>
> Alexander, are you the only iconv maintainer? Where can I get the list
> of known and reported bugs? May be some mailing list archive exists
> here I can read bug reports? Are there any documents about iconv
> architecture  or other exist? May be you know some problems with this
> iconv implementation. May be some useful links exist? Please, send me
> all the related information.

At the moment it looks like I am the only person who have a deal with
BSD iconv. Unfortunately I don't have  any design documentation besides
the source itself ofcourse. Hopefully it's pretty clear. All known and
reported bugs are fixed. I'll send you a full patch set in private mail.

> It seems that we will test iconv for several conversion and I can post
> you the results of our tests if you want.

Sure! Please.

> Am I right that FreeBSD community isn't going to use this iconv?

I hope you wrong.

All the best,
Alexander.