Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 18:33:10 GMT
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mrc@ChipChat.com
Subject:   Re: make installworld trouble

 Here is what I wrote moments before I read about the solution to my problem:

fbsdstab> Hello BSDaemons!
fbsdstab>
fbsdstab>   I have two machines: "Source-code" machine, and a "non-Source" machine.
fbsdstab>
fbsdstab> Trying to do a "make installworld"
fbsdstab> from "non-Source" machine,
fbsdstab> using the '/usr/src' and '/usr/obj' directories on the "Source" machine.
fbsdstab> I encounter an error.
fbsdstab>
fbsdstab> --------------
fbsdstab> ERROR MESSAGE:
fbsdstab> --------------
fbsdstab>
<SNIP>
fbsdstab> install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444   libalias_p.a /usr/lib
fbsdstab> install: libalias_p.a: No such file or directory
fbsdstab> *** Error code 71
fbsdstab> Stop.
<SNIP>
fbsdstab> ----------------
fbsdstab> PREVIOUS SUCCESS
fbsdstab> ----------------
fbsdstab> I was able to do this in November (which is how I upgraded the non-source
fbsdstab> machine from 2.2.6-Release to 2.2.7-Stable).
fbsdstab>
fbsdstab> Any direction, suggestions, or comments are welcome.

  Within a few minutes of this posting I started reading thru my "-Current" mailing list,
and saw a similar question posted there (regarding -Current, not -Stable).
  What I did a few weeks ago on my "source code" machine was to set
NOPROFILE=true
  as recommended in one of the on-line FreeBSD tutorials.
I understand what this does, and what 'profiling libraries' are.

  However I did not set that also on my 'non-source' machine.
This problem, and solution were discussed on the -Current Mailing List.
  I changed my (non-source)/etc/make.conf to read
NOPROFILE=true
and it my 'make installworld' is running fine right now.

  I should have thought more about the name 'libalias_p.a' (_p as in 'profiling'),
and may have remembered the 'NOPROFILE' change that I made earlier to the 'source machine'.
I regret any inconvenience that my question has caused.

  I appreciate the excellent quality of FreeBSD, and the friendly cooperative spirit of
many FreeBSDers.  I hope to contribute to the FreeBSD effort in the future.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat