Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:24:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        vallo@matti.ee
Cc:        eculp@webwizard.org.mx, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with vx0 (3Com)

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Vallo Kallaste
had to walk into mine and say:

> Edwin Culp <eculp@webwizard.org.mx> wrote:
>
> > Anybody tried it with the 3c595, that poor folks like us might still have?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> ***
>
> I can try. About what are you interested ?

The xl driver is for 3c90x cards only: this includes the 3c900 and 3c905
"boomerang" adapters and the 3c905B "cyclone" adapters. The 3c59x cards
are based on the "vortex" chipset, which actually does have a DMA mechanism
but not the same as the "boomerang" and "cyclone" chips. The "boomerang"
chips happened to work with the vx driver because 3Com maintained support
for the old PIO packet transfer mechanism that the vx driver uses. But
starting with the 3c905B, the PIO mechanism was dropped and now bus-master
DMA is required. Since all 3c90x cards support the same DMA interface, I
decided to split out all of the 3c90x support from the vx driver.

The vx driver is still used for the 3c59x PCI cards; I only turned
off support in the vx driver for the Etherlink XL PCI cards, not the
Etherlink III PCI cards.

-Bill