Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:23:49 -0500
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@puresimplicity.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repeated panics...Suspect USB issues

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 02:03:12AM -0600, Josh Tolbert wrote:
> > A backtrace would be nice. See the developer's handbook on kernel
> > debugging for details.
>
> I'm trying to get a backtrace. I've built a kernel with all the right bits,
> set up dumpdir and dumpdev in /etc/rc.conf, etc...Apparently savecore doesn't
> like writing to the swap partition (/dev/ar0s1b). I can get to the ddb promp,
> obtain a trace, panic the machine, etc...But I don't think I can obtain a good
> core without putting another hard drive in the machine, which isn't going to
> happen till sometime next week...Is there anything I can provide from the ddb
> prompt?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Old problem revival time...

Since dumps don't like being written out to a partition on a RAID1 set, this
is about the only kind of trace I could obtain:

http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/Pics/Misc/trace.jpg

For what it's worth, I moved the printer to another machine and removed the
USB-to-parallel adapter that was the catalyst of the problem. If anyone cares
to work on this problem I'll be more than happy to send the cable on a one-way
trip to any interested party in order to help get the problem resolved.

If anyone's interested in the cable for testing, etc. just let me know.

Thanks,
Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi@puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

If your sysadmin's not being fascist, you're paying him too much.
   --Sam Greenfield