Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:40:50 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        K H Tan <netline@pop.jaring.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some installation question

* K H Tan <netline@pop.jaring.my> [000821 09:08] wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD and I have assigned to do FreeBSD installation on
> 7 servers. The servers are- 2 for DNS/ email, 2 for URL forwarding, 1 with
> mySQL, 1 web server, and 1 secure web server with SSL and verisign.
>
> I've read through some of the FAQ fairly quickly and I would appreciate some
> help on the following
>
> 1) What ported s/w do I have to install for URL forwarding server? I think I
> have to install Apache here. How does one go about configuring a server to
> forward URL?

You can use apache, the apache docs explain several ways of forwarding
URLs, last I checked apache has a caching module that can be used.

> 2) I'll be using Apache for web server and secure server. Is the Apache with
> FP extension available? How does one setup a secure web server with
> Verisign?

Apache+fp is in /usr/ports/www, I'm unsure about getting your Verisign
setup though.

> 3) Is Sendmail in one of the ported s/w list? What are other options? Qmail?

Sendmail ships with FreeBSD (it's already installed in the base system),
Qmail and postfix are also available, from what I hear the preference is
for postfix over Qmail.

> 4) Can 2 DNS exist for one domain, or do we have to configure a
> primary/secondary DNS server? How should I do it?

Yes, you can multiple A records for a domain.  If you don't make your
DNS redundant (primary/secondary) then you're being foolish.

If you want to know how to do it then buy DNS and Bind by O'Reilly
& Associates.

> 5) Is mySQL in the port list? If it is not, how do I go about installing it.

MySQL is in ports, a lot of people prefer Postgresql because it offers
a lot of features that MySQL doesn't support.

> I know it's a lot to ask, but I hope someone would guide me as I was given
> little time to study FreeBSD.

Honestly I think you ought to be posting to jobs@freebsd.org and
inquiring about a consultant to do some subcontracting.

best of luck,