Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 07:37:29 -0500
From:      "William M. Grim" <wgrim@siue.edu>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CMD Tech.  PCI-0680 Driver

Hey there!

I'm very new to this list and couldn't find a better one to post too
(please let me know if I should post elsewhere).

Anyway, I'm looking to update the ATA driver so that my new ATA/133 card
with a Silicon Images' PCI-0680 chipset works.  I bought the card from
CMD Technologies.  Apparently, ata/33 on up to ata/100 is supported for
their line of cards according to the 4.6.2 release notes.

Being new to driver development, the problem I'm having with this is
knowing exactly WHICH source files I'm probably going to have to change;
I was thinking either the ata-raid.h/.c or the ata-disk.h/.c.  I could
be way off here, and that's why I'm asking.  I also realize that I'll
probably need to get some sort of programming tech. documents from the
company of this card?  How would I go about doing this if I need to
perform this step?

Any help is appreciated, and as a side note, I've never done driver
development before.  I was thinking that since I have a keen interest in
making this card work, this would be a good place to begin.

I also have the "pciconf -lv" information to aid in your response to me:

none0@pci0:11:0:        class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x36801095 =
chip=3D0x06801095
rev=3D0x01 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor   =3D 'CMD Technology Inc.'
    device   =3D 'PCI-0680 Ultra ATA133 EIDE Controller'
    class    =3D mass storage
    subclass =3D RAID

Thanks so much again for any help that can be offered,
Mike

PS - Don=92t forget to direct me to another mailing list if this one is
not quite appropriate for driver development talk.  Thanks!