Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:57:31 -0500
From:      "Michael Knoll" <michael.knoll@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA drive TIMEOUT READ_DMA errors since adding power savings

I added a power down timer on one of my harddrives, and started
getting READ_DMA and WRITE_DMA timeouts.  Is it possible these are
occuring becuase the drive is spun down and FreeBSD isn't waiting long
enough for it to spin up?  Everything else seems to be working.

If that is the problem, is it possible to extend the timeout to
eliminate these messages clouding my logs?

Thanks,
Mike

+ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=41399007
+ad4: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=12095