Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:08:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        John Brooks <john@day-light.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE Raid Controllers

I've been using the Promise IDE RAID cards for a while now in FreeBSD,
they work flawlessly.

I actually just put into production 2 boxes with the Tyan Tiger 200T dual
PIII boards, and they had the Promise RAID built onboard.  4.8-RELEASE
installed right up on the boxes, picked up the raid card right from the
beginning, and the boxes have been motoring along quite happily for about
6 months now, no glitches.

Also, I know where I usd to work, they'r running a news server off of the
3Ware 12-port IDE card, running RAID5, and they've been very happy with
it.  I don't remember offhand whether they're running 4.x or 5.x, but I
think it was 4.x.  They've been very happy with the performance and the
stability of the card so far.

So, from my experiences, both 3Ware and Promise, have been rock solid, and
work wonderfully with FreeBSD.

-Gary

Running Windows is kinda like playing blackjack:
User stays on success, reboots on failure