Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 18:33:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Has lesstif been dropped from the packages

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 01:23:17PM -0700, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> > OK, I looked at the port.  It isn't built since it interferes with other
> > package building on our automatic build box (it has MANUAL_PACKAGE_BUILD
> > defined) and may not have been built for your release.
> >
> > It's distributed under the LGPL so it should be fine for CD distribution.
> > And you can always built it from the port.
>
> Which are the deciding conditions under what some programs can be
> distributed as packages and some not? Something to do with licences?

In this case, some other ports will autodetect Motif and if Lesstif gets
installed, it'll build for Motif and not work on 99% of our userbase (they
get 'can't find shared libaray libXm.so.X.Y' errors).

Note that Motif is a commercial application, and Lesstif is more than most
people like to have floating around.

Doug White