Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 07:29:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lyndon Griffin <lgriffin@bsd4us.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sparc Port -- sounds good to me

> Should we start with OpenBSD and begin with the userland stuff first
> to see how much ports over easily?

Even a better idea, I think someone here already suggested it...  It would
be nice if it works.  Porting over userland may be able to be accomplished
independently of the actual kernel and hardware coding, by using a NetBSD
or OpenBSD base system.

While porting the kernel may be the most difficult, porting the userland
will certainly be tedious - once something is ported, it will need to
track current with the rest of the "real" distribution, otherwise we'll
end up duplicating our efforts when the kernel work is ready for merging
into current.

<soapbox>
Me - I *love* FreeBSD.  There's not a lot of chance that I'll cease work
when we merge into -current...  Maybe Jordan will step in and correct me
here, but just getting to the goal is only half the trip - once we merge,
we'll have to keep on going.  There's no magical code fairy that takes
over maintenance of the port once we become part of the distribution.
Somebody (hopefully more than one person) has to keep the port up to date
with new features, kernel changes, new drivers, etc. etc.  What I'm trying
to get at, without being too heavy, is that I sincerely hope that people
that will commit to do the work now are also committing to do the work in
the future.
</soapbox>

<:)  Lyndon Griffin
     http://www.bsd4us.org/