Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:03:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or DesktopOS?)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Basically, I'm willing to provide highly intensive, heavily load, long
> term testing of -STABLE on two servers whose loadavg's are known to reach
> into the triple digits and still perform (I've seen it hit 999 and be able
> to still type, albeit *very* slowly ... if I had thorugh to use killall, I
> probably could have even saved a reboot) ... and I'm willing to patiently
> wait for an hour or two for it to dump core when it does crash ... the
> question is, though ... is anyone prepared to look at those cores?

The real issue is that your question boils down to "Who has the time to
help me."  Time is the most valuable assett in any community project.  (I
believe everyone here has a day job.)  So, "Is anyone prepared to look at
those cores?"  Well, you mean "Does anyone have time to look at my cores
when I have problems?"  Maybe, maybe not.  That's opensource.

I've had members of the core team SSH to production boxes and help me
diagnose issues.  This was back around 94/95, concerning Adaptec SCSI
issues under heavy load.  The guy didn't have to help, but he did.  I was
glad he had the time to help, but if he hadn't offered...  It would not
have been my place to demand that help.

A lot of us run loaded servers, a lot of us run -stable on those servers,
a lot of us run into issues (in staging if our process is correct)...
When we do that, we try to start discussion and figure out what's broke
and why.  When someone has enough information and time to present a fix,
they do.

I guess I don't understand the logic of posting things like "Why doesn't
someone debug my issue for me NOW?" to an opesource project's mailing
list(s).  Don't get me wrong, I am not attempting, nor do I desire to
belittle the importance of your issue(s).  However, we all have
"important" (to us) issues.  That does not give us the right to start
demanding personal attention.  Post your issue, and wait...  If that's not
good enough, RTFM and become somone capable of fixing your own issues and
(maybe, with your limited time) potentially helping others too!

Trust me, if someone can read the cores and has time...  They will.  We
all want to make FreeBSD the best OS possible.  Noone is attempting to
spite you by ignoring your requests for help!