Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:01:19 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Jack Morgan <j-morgan@gol.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBsd (reposted)

On Sunday, 26 November 2000 at 22:18:19 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> Jack Morgan writes:
>> Now, my question: How different are they? I beleive Linux is based on
>> System V and FreeBSd is based on 4.4 BSD, so what does that mean?
>
> Linux is not based on anything, but most try to keep Linux in adherence
> to POSIX standards.

Linux does have some foundations in Minix, but I'm not sure how far
they go.  I think things like the Linux device driver interface may be
related to Minix.  They're definitely very different from the System V
and BSD interface.

> But the fact most all Linux distributions use a Sys-V-like init, one
> could say Linux most closely resembles Sys-V.

I've heard this before, but I think it's bogus.  Most users don't even
know what init is.

> FreeBSD *is* BSD. The real thing. Not a clone.

Correct.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.