Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:16:05 +0100
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Jochen Fahrner <freebsd@fahrners.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation fails after creating disklabel

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:03:27 +0200
Jochen Fahrner <freebsd@fahrners.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > After creating the partitions the installation aborts with the
> > following error message:
> >
> > "Error mounting /dev/ad0s5 on /mnt: Operation not permitted"
>

> I've got it! Disk partitioning works not the same way as on i386
> platforms.
> The normal way is to have "slices" (created by fdisk), each slice
> divided into "partitions" (using disklabel).
>
> On FreeBSD PPC (Mac only?) disklabel cannot divide slices into
> partitions. Each slice can only have 1 partition. So one has to
> setup the whole partition layout with Mac OS disk utility, and then
> create the correct partition in each slice using disklabel.
>
> I think this should be explained somewhere in the install
> documentation.

There's also a PR about this:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=powerpc/93203

I think the issue is that fdisk doesn't know how to deal with the Apple
Partition Map (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Partition_Map).
Hopefully things will be better with 8.0 since it'll use gpart for
partitioning.

--
Bruce Cran