Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 1995 21:59:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        archie@tribe.com (Archie Cobbs)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5 Eager to go into swap

> Here's my own 1.5 cents data point on this memory hogging issue.
>
> I've used Linux a lot and now I'm starting to use FreeBSD a lot, and I can
> tell you the difference in memory usage is very noticable to me.
>
> I'm running the Mach64 server (albeit at 1280x1024) and right now it's
> using 19 Megs according to the VSIZE of "ps"... that's huge!

The FreeBSD Berkeley malloc uses the buddy system.  That is not VM
space efficient!!!

> I have 16 M of on-board RAM plus 41 M of swap, and I still run out
> of memory. That's ridiculous considering that I don't really do very
> much... :-) On Linux I almost never run out, and that's with only
> 16 M of RAM and 32 M of swap.

Gnumalloc is better in many regards, alot worse in others.  It is
probably a better fit for X.

> > Maybe that's why nobody wants to deal with this issue--it collapses into a
> > flame war and nobody can do anything about it anyway!
>
> Hmmm.. bad attitude! If Linux can do it right, then so can FreeBSD...
> or at least there is evidence that maybe FreeBSD can do it better.
>
> What if we ported Linux's libraries? Would that help? How hard would
> it be to replace the existing malloc() with GNU malloc()? What's up
> with the X server? Is that all because of malloc()? Yow.
>
> On a related note, does the kernel ever promise more memory than it
> can actually deliver? Or do all calls to malloc() reserve swap (at least)?
> In either case, is this behavior configurable?

Swap is NOT preallocated.  I had some customers that used SVR4 in a fault
tolerant application, and swap preallocation actually decrease reliability!!!
(Due to Shared lib startup problems on malloc failure).

John
dyson@root.com