Date:      16 Aug 2001 17:59:00 +0300
From:      "Adrian Pavlykevych" <pam@polynet.lviv.ua>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RADIUS Accounting with SQUID

--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 02:13:26PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Aug 16, Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx> wrote:
> > I've not had much to do with RADIUS, but I know that it provides some
> > accounting functionality. I thought that the two (SQUID and RADIUS)
> > could be mushed together somehow to provide a slightly more workable
> > solution to Internet Quota.
>=20
> Well. Hmph. OK, this might be quite awkward. The only way I can think of
> getting an Accounting-Start is with munging some sort of proxy
> authentication. However, you will get a start saying 'this kid has just
> started' but will get no more further information until they
> de-authenticate, or log-off, thereby causing an accounting-stop which
> contains all the information like how long they were logged in for, amount
> of data moved, etc. This is because RADIUS is meant for dial-up work - the
> fact that people have just managed to make it work elsewhere, particularly
> for authentication doesn't mean to say it's the best way to handle this s=
ort
> of thing.

Well, it depends. Squid has no other notion of user session as HTTP session=
s (every request or, in case of HTTP 1.1 persistant connection, several req=
uests). So, user authentication is done on per connection basis (modulo cac=
hing). If we cloud get Squid to call function on every disconnect (same as =
access log entry is written), we could get nice sequence of RADIUS accounti=
ng Start and Stop packets.
=20
> There is a need for this sort of stuff, but in an ISP context, you're goi=
ng
> to be able to get it off the RADIUS accounting from the dial-up port. In
> this context there is a clear start and end to a session. In the situation
> you're talking about, we're talking more 'hot-desking', and users may sha=
re
> machines, or the end of a session might not be as easily visible to the
> proxy.

You don't have any long living session in Squid, see above. Problems with "=
hot-desking" are organizational - same as someone going away from logged in=
 computer or terminal, and should be handled as such (e.g. administratively=
). Besides, if someone is sloppy or "kind" enough to let others eat his sha=
re of network resources, it is his fault and problem.

Regards,

--=20
Adrian Pavlykevych 			email: 		<pam@polynet.lviv.ua>
System Administrator			phone/fax:	+380 (322) 742041
Lviv Polytechnic National University

--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx

--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx--